[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Politics

StormyTet at aol.com StormyTet at aol.com
Wed Jul 27 16:26:14 MDT 2005

In a message dated 7/27/2005 11:35:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
Richard.P.Hayes at comcast.net writes:

The  argument of the latitudinarians has always been that human beings
are  imperfect, and God forgives them. The argument of the authoritarians
has  always been that God condemns sinners, so they should be killed
before  their influence contaminates the rest of society. This helps
explain why so  many people who shriek about the importance of culture of
life endorse the  death penalty for every crime more serious than licking
a  stamp.

Hi All,

(Note to Richard Hayes) I am still mulling our earlier correspondence. I
think I am more of a householder than a monk and that studying languages for
twelve years would not be the right livelihood for me, and the kick I would get
out of being able to interpret texts on my own may be more than would be good
for my ego.

On politics and Buddhism:
I have a friend named Bo Lozof. He was a devotee of Neem Karoli Baba. His
letters to prisoners in the back of his book "We are all doing Time" are what I
would consider beautiful examples of the middle path in dealing with people
at  all levels of awareness. The Dalai Lama, incidentally wrote the forward to
the  book. To me, Bo's work, epitomizes the best of eastern thought. He
actively  seeks to help the most reviled and hated in our society. Men who have done
 horrible things. At the same time, he reminds his "brothers" (those
prisoners  who are dealing with anger, hatred, addictions) that they have a choice and
that  they need to take responsibility for themselves.

Other things about The Human Kindness Foundation (Bo's organization). They
send out all their books for free to prisoners and if you are on the 'outside'
and you say you can't afford the ten bucks, they will send it to a 'free
person'  for free as well.

Bo sent me a rock one time that is engraved with, "You can do hard."   A
little koan I have worked with for many years.

Finally, one more note on politics and Buddhism or Eastern philosophy -- Bo
once got a letter from a 'do-gooder' -- a social worker of sorts who had
invested a lot of time in helping men while they were in prison and when they  got
out. The guy was BURNT OUT.  He was discouraged because the recidivism  rate
was so high and he felt that all the energy he had put into his work was  for
naught.

Bo's response, in short, was that he was taking it personally -- an ego  trip
deal. He suggested to the man that the prisoner went back to prison because
that is where he could learn best -- where he needed to be. To me, this is
balance -- a balance that will keep socially conscious and concerned people sane
 and continuing to work for progressive change even as we don't see the
fruits of  our labor.

_http://www.humankindness.org/_ (http://www.humankindness.org/)

His work is known as "the prison ashram project."

Stormy