[Buddha-l] Questions on the vidyas, music in Buddhism, etc.

Hal Cooper halc at xprt.net
Fri Jul 8 13:14:45 MDT 2005

Jkirk> Also, a second question: it's my impression that the terms "music"
and
> "chanting" are conflated in much Buddhistic discourse.

Hal> I don't agree that music and chanting are conflated; however, music
just organizes sound and/or silence into a particular form. Chanting can
legitimately be included under the banner of music.  I believe there is a
difference between melodious song and utilitarian chanting.   Each serves
their purpose.  If they seem conflated, it is just a translation issue.

Sometimes being all out of tune sounds very interesting.  Check out the old
blues guitar players or children singing in a chorus.  Perfection is this
kiss of death to a recording. Sometimes I add noise, vinal hiss, tape hiss
or turn on an air conditioner while recording just to make it sound less
perfect.    Perhaps this is why I don't know any songs.  Miles Davis would
say, "play like a beginner."  Squeek, Squack,
eeeeeee---reeieieie-- schplat!!     Bonph.  Sizzle bonph.  sizzleing crackle
into the frying pan.

For a female, one very interesting chant technique, is to sing a Maj. 7th,
Minor 9th or Maj. 9th above the tonic.  (dissonant intervals)   It's hard to
do, but really sounds interesting. Helps keep people awake when chanting for
hours on end. It's for the benefit of others, not just to show off. I have
heard female Dharma Masters perform this chanting technique.