[Buddha-l] Academicians Claim Buddha Turned Into European Saint

Espen S. Ore espen.ore at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 01:35:48 MDT 2005

StormyTet at aol.com skrev  06.07.2005 00:26:

> In a message dated 7/5/2005 12:20:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> jkirk at spro.net writes:
>
>     Soon many
>     aficionados were doing it, including composers of music who hunted
>     down folk
>     music and incorporated it into their folkloristic concert hall
>     compositions.
>     These collecting enterprises accompanied and supported rising
>     nationalism
>     among the various state/ethnic entities of Europe.
>
> This is facinating. I would love to learn more about this. I wonder if
> this is connected with the folk tradition departments in Europe -- a
> phenomena I always found interesting. I have read that these
> departments are in a bit of a crisis in terms of moving toward a more
> Western Anthropological model.

One good book discussing this in relation to Greece is Michael
Herzfield: Ours Once More: Folklore, Ideology, and the Making of Modern
Greece. A paper on the web which takes up the same problem regarding
modern Greek folk dances (and which also cites Michael Herzfield) is
available here: http://www.filetron.com/grkmanual/iofa91.html

And as a Norwegian I can also see that similar intentions were behind
the collection of folklore here from around the middle of the 19th century.

Espen