[Buddha-l] re. fundamentalism

StormyTet at aol.com StormyTet at aol.com
Tue Jul 5 16:46:50 MDT 2005

In a message dated 7/5/2005 12:29:50 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jkirk at spro.net writes:

We  learned multiplication tables up to
12, they learned them up to 20. A lot  of this facility is based on parental
training in memorization ability,  something our education system has given
up on.  I have wondered too  if there is a genetic factor in the general
amazing math capability in  South Asia. Brainiacs galore.

An anecdotal story: I spend a lot of time in a computer lab and have made
several friends from India and Bangledesh. One day we got into a conversation
about different abilities based on nationality. He was an engineering major
(said that there was a lot of pressure in India to be an Engineer -- he was from
 Bombay) and was talking about a group project with another young man from
India  and a man from China.  He talked about how long it took for the man from
China to feel competent in an area but that he worked non-stop and when he
knew  it he knew it inside and out. Indians seem more mercurial to me and my
Chinese  friends seem as if they are pacing themselves and live for work. Your
story  helps me understand why he just shook his head in disbelief at my  stress
concerning SPSS.

 BTW, I just finished reading an interesting ethnography by Marie  Gillespie
about the punjabi's in Southhall. It was a fascinating read in  terms of the
impact of diaspora and globalization. "Television, Ethnicity and  Cultural
Change."

Stormy