[Buddha-l] Re: fundamentalism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Jul 5 09:25:58 MDT 2005

JK wrote:
in another sense, everyone who has kids should also home school them
in the matter of reading with them, making sure they do their homework, and
teaching them about life; that should preclude allowing video games like
Doom, et al.
=======================
Joanna, this is well-taken by some, but I am afraid that it is not obvious
to others.  In fact, I've found that some home-schoolers allow their
children to play these games.  This part of the equation does not fit in the
liberal-conservative polarity analysis.

Stan Ziobro
=====================
I don't apply the political test --liberal-conservative-polarity-- in the
matter of home schooling, I prefer the "cultural" test------right-wing
Christians are maintaining their home culture by home schooling, and
liberals who do so (few though they may be, I'd guess) are doing likewise.
You can kids them anything if you are home schooling! My Christian
born-again niece home schooled her two boys and in the process, with help
from church etc, learned of a bunch of home school parents such that they
all were able to arrange group get-togethers for all the kids, borrow gym
facilities in local schools (who are ever generous, but then the home
schoolers are also paying taxes). Thus the kids got some sports excercise
and peer socializing -- were not isolated in their homes. I've heard it
works this way for most of the Christian home schoolers. They have got it
very well-organized.

Joanna