[Buddha-l] Re: fundamentalism

SJZiobro at cs.com SJZiobro at cs.com
Mon Jul 4 17:41:02 MDT 2005

In a message dated 7/4/2005 5:38:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, jkirk at spro.net
writes:

> > IMNSHO, The home-schooling thing epitomizes a great flaw in the modern
> > USA --
> > the myth and encouragement of 'extreme individualism'.
> >
> > Richard Basham -- aka rbb   Make noise, leave sign; or, not.  @1986
> ==================================
> I never heard of Buddhists home schooling their kids either.

So far, I haven't met any, as well, but perhaps we're looking in the wrong
places.

> >From what I've observed, those who do are right-wing Xtians.
> (rbb):
I'll need to inform my left-wing oriented professional friend who lives in
the Bible Belt that the gig is up and, all observations being equal, that he is
really a right-wing Christian.  Well, he is a cultural Christian, so the fact
that he'd be called one likely wouldn't offend him.  But it does at least seem
to be the case that a majority of home-schoolers are, in accord with the
contemporary parlance, Conservative.  Perhaps this phenomenon is not too
surprising when one considers that the ideologies encouraged in the public schools
originate from sources which are predominantly liberal.  When, however, one finds
liberal parents preferring to home-school their children one might suspect (I
choose my words carefully here) that the home-schooling movement is not fueled
simply by conservative ideologies.  Other considerations (not exhaustive) are
curricula, the adequacy and dispersions of federal and state funding (which
help determine the teacher-to-student ratio in the classrooms), or even the
simple desire to home-school rather than send a child to the public or parochial
schools.

   > n another sense, everyone who has kids should also home school them
> in the matter of reading with them, making sure they do their homework, and
> teaching them about life; that should preclude allowing video games like
> Doom, et al.

Joanna, this is well-taken by some, but I am afraid that it is not obvious to
others.  In fact, I've found that some home-schoolers allow their children to
play these games.  This part of the equation does not fit in the
liberal-conservative polarity analysis.

Stan Ziobro