[Buddha-l] re. consciousness

StormyTet at aol.com StormyTet at aol.com
Fri Jul 1 21:54:41 MDT 2005

James Ward,

Thank you for your 'tangential' offerings!  As for your questions and  the
comments you made:

James:  I am wondering about the term  "consciousness integration."  Do you
mean the bringing together of  disparate pieces of consciousness?  Or
the integration of consciousness  into an encompassing reality?  Or the
establishment of a stable  perceiver?  Or something else yet again?

In short, yes. I think a lot of what is happening under the radar in a  lot
of spiritually minded internet communities is a conscious or unconscious
attempt to bring together disparate pieces of consciousness (individually and
collectively). People are yearning for an encompassing reality and finding that
their internal contradictions seem to make such a reality elusive.  On  the
other hand, there are many who claim to have found enlightenment and serve  as
gatekeepers to seekers.

In terms of integrating consciousness, for example, people often  have
multiple sn with different personas that, because of relative anonymity,  may allow
them to become more mindful of seemingly contradictory aspects of  their being
in a very unique and direct way.

I loved your question about the 'stable receiver.'  I have a feeling  that
some who consciously engage in these communities  feel that  they have 'arrived;
and are one with  'stable receiver' when in fact  they are in a deep
delusion.  I think that the medium of the internet may  somehow fuel this, the
anonymity and the fluidity of the medium allowing  for and supporting this
exploration and the traps inherent within any such  adventure.

 I just finished reading Techgnosis by Eric Davis.   Metaphorically speaking,
the internet is the archetypal Mind -- a Mind that  speaks back to you! This
phenomena is overwhelmingly powerful to some people. It  is akin to the impact
that the telephone had -- peoples entire conceptual worlds  were changed,
with their concepts of space and time  shaken.

 I think that what you suggest about the ability to access a broad  amount of
information quickly and its impact on our consciousness is very  important.
As Marshal Mcluhan says, 'the medium is the message."   .Information has
become very important. What does that mean?  It is ironic  to me that so very many
people relate computer technology to abstract Eastern  philosophies when the
internet is a massive conglomeration of ideas or  'clouds.' :)

James:Actually, it might be kind of hard to  accumulate data on the actual
changes in perception and thinking!  What  else would you use in
addition to testimonial evidence?

That is why I am really hoping to get some books that talk about the  various
types of experiences and problems related to shifts in consciousness
(samadhi experiences gone awry).There is a lot of scientific work on  consciousness
that is touched upon in "Rational Mysticism" by  John Horgan.  A lot of this
work is on psychedelic drugs and its impact on  consciousness, however.
Ironically, many of the people who envisioned and  developed the internet were into
psychedelics according to  Davis.

Eventually I will develop a survey to see if I can quantify some of my
findings.

Thank you for your thoughtful contemplations concerning  'resonance'  and
'right typing,' that follows. I resonate with what you wrote, but I am not
finding that most people have consciously considered the impact of the internet  on
their consciousness and many of those who do (at least in chat room/ bulletin
 boards) seem to be in a rather narcissistic transitory state.  We  have an
amazing medium, literally at our finger tips. It seems that the internet  does
catalyze something (for good or ill) for everyone.

I am going to go check out those sites. :)

Stormy