[Buddha-l] Re: fundamentalism

StormyTet at aol.com StormyTet at aol.com
Fri Jul 1 21:46:28 MDT 2005

Those who have integrity and who can co-operate will lose
many  battles, but ultimately they will win the war. So it has usually
worked out  in history in the long run. The thing is, you must be a
distance runner, not  a sprinter.

 I have a tendency toward sprinting.

> They won't give  up.

This is something they have in common with liberals.

HA

> Culturally speaking, many african americans in the inner city  are
> turning toward a conservative politics in the name of their  faith.

Almost all of this is due to one issue: homosexuality.

I am not sure about this. I have been showing "Black Is Black Aint", a film
by a black gay man named Marlon Riggs to inner city African Americans.  The
majority of the people who are watching the film are in their 50's. The
participants fill out a survey before watching the film. I am testing for  the
strength of religious sentiment among other things. One of the questions is  "Is
homosexuality wrong."  Surprisingly, the Christians surveyed so far  have all
taken an "Neutral" position whereas the Muslim and Buddhists have taken  a
"Strongly Agree" position. Based upon discussion and the crisis with women  getting
AIDS from their homosexual husbands, I think the stance in the community  is
changing. Tentatively, I want to suggest that faith in The American  Dream of
fiscal conservatives is what is motivating their politics.
This  is belief that God will prosper you is puritan as can be. I am  not
sure about this, but the results of my studies suggest that the  homosexuality
issue is reaching a head and people are reassessing their views  (at least in
the 50 plus age range).

Just since November 2004 I have seen enormous changes among  religious
(and secular) liberals. Don't worry. They are learning very  rapidly.
Within a short time, the battle will not seem nearly so one-sided.  After
all, the liberals have the full force of buddha-l behind them. And  we
never lose.

lol...oh I hope you are right.

Stormy