[Buddha-l] Said/Orientalism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Aug 24 08:48:30 MDT 2005

I was just re-reading that last night. He devotes about
six pages to Said. He doesn't have anything nice to
say about him - but he does also reference at least
one other work that he (Halbfass) thought was more
relevant (but I can't remember the author or title).

Gavin Flood in his "Introduction to Hinduism" doesn't
talk specifically about Said, but he does deal with the
ideological conflicts that currently beset the field of
"Indology" - which is certainly relevant. Flood is also
the editor of a big new book on Hinduism the first
two chapters of which are entitled: "Colonialism and
the Construction of Hinduism" and "Orientalism and
Hinduism".
- Curt