[Buddha-l] Zen War Guilt/Zen and the Sword

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Aug 23 10:06:48 MDT 2005

Said was one of the few great American intellectuals of the 20th
century - so its no wonder he was a foreigner! His work stands
on its own and I feel no need, nor am I competent, to offer any
hints about its value. I can recommend one other work, in addition
to the already mentioned "Orientalism". He narrated a documentary
about the Italian director Gillo Pontecorvo - who not only directed
"The Battle of Algiers" (which is now used by the Pentagon as
a training film for counter-insugency), but he also directed what
Marlon Brando considered his (Brando's) best film: Queimada.
The documentary can be found on the newly released three DVD
edition of the film "Battle of Algiers".
- Curt