[Buddha-l] sanskrit self-study

Steven Rhodes srhodes at boulder.net
Thu Aug 11 10:31:51 MDT 2005

Dear Curt,

Maurer's book might be available in an ontological sense, but at a
current list price of $300 for a new copy, that might be something of a
moot point.

I do not think that the Goldmans' book is suitable for self learners.
 But I do not at all share Richard's strictures about the book:  I
didn't find it pretentious and the use of Devanagari rather than
transliteration within the grammar explanations is, I think, much to be
preferred.  Devanagari is a challenge, but it must be dealt with, so get
on with it!  However, some of the Goldmans' explanations can be a bit
loopy upon occasion.

Some people think that the book by Aklujkar (which must be purchased
directly from him) is very good.

Steven Rhodes