[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Apr 30 11:33:17 MDT 2005

Jim Peavler wrote:

> Ah, now you are being far too logical (or not logical enough). I
> personally think that the old NM professor was implying that the term
> "fully enlightened" was silly and caused him to giggle. I had the same
> reaction. To imply that understanding a philosophical or theological
> work in a particular requires some sort of supernatural direct
> connection with some "higher reality" strikes many of us lowly
> pragmatists as amusing. I think we just don't get it.

Thank you for your psychic insight into the professor's true thoughts. I
lack
the ability to read minds - so I was only able to respond to his words.
However,
if what he really meant to say was not that a profound and thoroughgoing
understanding of the Dharma is necessary to translate the Sutras - but
rather
that the phrase "fully enlightened" (more or less a paraphrase of anuttara
samyak sambodhi) is just plain silly laughable in and of itself - then
that just
proves he was ducking the real issue and trying to create a distraction away
from the fact that he couldn't come up with an actual counter-argument to
what I was clearly talking about.

- Curt