[Buddha-l] liturgical languages (was: Will new the pope verify Buddhist doctrine?)

F.K. Lehman (F.K.L. Chit Hlaing) f-lehman at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 27 14:22:16 MDT 2005

Two things,if I may. (1) Let us not forget that Buddhism is from
India, and the Indic tradition, back to Vedic times apparently,
includes the idea that there is a sort of cosmic (magical?) power or,
if you want, ritual effectiveness to the very syllables of a Skt/Pali
chan, and to their correct pronunciation. This certainly is essential
background to the stuff being argued about here. (2) In Southeast
Asian Theravada, at least in Burma and Thailand, we do chant verses
in Pali, especially the Precepts (panatipata vermani...), BUT there
are endless sermons in which Monks expounbd at great and repetitive
length upon the detailed meaning of the words, phrases and
utterances. And there is a long and good tradition of nissaya texts
involving such chants and prayers; interlinear translation texts that
are widely used. I sometimes get p.o'd reading, as in this thread,
about 'Asian Buddhists', which turn out all to be exclusively
Mahayanists in China, Japan and, maybe marginally, Korea.
--
F. K. Lehman (F. K. L. Chit Hlaing)
Professor