[Buddha-l] manomayakaya

Vaj vajranatha at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 24 07:23:01 MDT 2005

On Apr 24, 2005, at 2:56 AM, mjs130 at columbia.edu wrote:

> As part of a larger project, I am investigating the concept of
> "manomayakaya" in Pali, Sanskrit and Tibetan literature.  At
> present, I am especially interested in references to "manomayakaya"
> in Tibetan sources.  Although I am interested in "manomaya,"
> references to "manomayaKAYA," or, as Walshe has translated it,
> "mind-made body," are what I am seeking in particular.
>
> Alas, I do not have the language skills at present to investigate
> the Chinese and Japanese literature.  I would greatly appreciate
> any information that members of this list might be able to p

I would certainly hope that you investigate the pancha-kosha theory in
Vedanta and Hindu tantra --an excellent exposition on *all* of the
koshas in the Panchadasi of Vidyaranya. Investigating even further
Vidyaranya's Jivan-mukti-viveka describes the process of enlightenment
very clearly in terms of dissolution of the mano-maya-kosha (and beyond
to dissolution of the other bodies).

Sincerely,

Steve Feite