[Buddha-l] Re: Will new the pope verify Buddhist doctrine?

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 02:32:53 MDT 2005

On 4/23/05, Michel Clasquin <clasqm at mweb.co.za> wrote:
> Stefan Detrez wrote:
> > What I wonder is that when a new Dalai Lama is chosen, whether people
> > discuss his intention to continue his predecessor's 'policy' in terms
> > of sustaining certain opinions on a variety of issues, or not.
>
> This is from memory, but I believe I read it in the current DL's
> biography some years back. When the 13th DL stated that he was going to
> make certain edicts, the courtiers objected that the opposite decision
> had already been proclaimed by the 7th DL.

Interesting. It suggests the DL doesn't decide on issues strictly by
himself. If the courtiers objected, it seems there's some conservatism
going on in the 'policy' of the DL. I remember a discussion here on
the DL speaking in the West about homosexuality as acceptable, while
during a speech on homosexuality in India he rejected it. Some die
hard fans around here explained this difference in terms of upaya. My
impression is that the DL takes local standards into consideration
when speeching and actually says what he thinks the people wants to
hear... But, then again, it could be that his courtiers weren't around
when he was speeching on the issue of homosexuality at the time in
Europe. :)

Stefan