[Buddha-l] Re: Will new the pope verify Buddhist doctrine?

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Fri Apr 22 16:31:29 MDT 2005

Stefan Detrez wrote:
> What I wonder is that when a new Dalai Lama is chosen, whether people
> discuss his intention to continue his predecessor's 'policy' in terms
> of sustaining certain opinions on a variety of issues, or not.

This is from memory, but I believe I read it in the current DL's
biography some years back. When the 13th DL stated that he was going to
make certain edicts, the courtiers objected that the opposite decision
had already been proclaimed by the 7th DL.

"And WHO was the 7th Dalai Lama?" the thirteenth thundered. End of
discussion.

--
"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so."
-- Bertrand Russell