[Buddha-l] 'Sons of Brahma, sons of Buddha?'

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Mon Apr 11 09:44:00 MDT 2005

In message <4526ba4405041101342f606061 at mail.gmail.com>, Stefan Detrez
<stefan.detrez at gmail.com> writes
>I have a vague recollection of a Hindu use to call brahmins 'sons of
>Brahma'. Is this correct? Does this use extend to Buddhism? Is 'son'
>to be understood in the sense of 'pupil'?
>
>Stefan

In several Tibetan texts, there are references to Buddha's sons, namely
those who follow the Bodhisattva path.  For example, Togmay Sangpo's 37
Bodhisattva Practices, Six Session Yoga and other tantric texts.

I imagine the word 'son' conveys several meanings from a pupil to a son
who is going to take up the father's business.

--
Metta
Mike Austin