[Buddha-l] 'Sons of Brahma, sons of Buddha?'

"Kåre A. Lie" alberlie at online.no
Mon Apr 11 09:09:28 MDT 2005

At 09:38 11.04.2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Stefan Detrez asked:
>
> > > Does this use extend to Buddhism?
>
>The compound "jinaputra" (sometimes translated as "son of the
>conqueror") is a fairly common epithet for bodhisattvas.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>R. Nance

There are lots of instances in the Pali Texts. A few samples:

Theriigaatha 46: orasaa dhiitaa buddhassa - The Buddha's own daughter
Theriigaatha 337: tuva.m buddho, tuva.m satthaa, tuyha.m dhiitaamhi - You
are the Buddha, you are the Teacher, I am your daughter

Theragaatha 536: Buddhassa puttomhi - I am the son of the Buddha
Theragaatha, epilogue: buddhaputtaa - The sons of the Buddha

Yours,

Kåre A. Lie
http://www.lienet.no/

THESAURUS (n.): An ancient reptile with