[Buddha-l] Re: Silence, conservatism and JPII

Stanley J. Ziobro II ziobro at wfu.edu
Thu Apr 7 07:15:34 MDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Timothy Smith wrote:

> If one examines his support of Opus Dei, particularly the ultra-speedy
> canonization of its founder,
> the conclusions are obvious, at least if you're aware of the history
> and practices of that
> organization.  I'm sorry Stan, but while Karol Wojtyla was certainly a
> mensch, and probably
> a fine man, as the leader of his organization, he acquiesced in every
> aspect to its conservative wing.

Timothy,

Being groggy and benighted as I am I must ask you if the Catholic Church
is reduceable to a political organization, as your message would imply, or
whether there is something more to it?  Furthermore, does JPII's history
with Opus Dei (or rather, its history with him) reduce JPII to a political
conservative?  What of his explicit and serious reservations about
American-style capitalism as an untenable economic vehicle for justice?
Does that, according to your method of reducing the man to his actions,
thereby make him a liberal?  It should.

Regards,

Stan Ziobro