[Buddha-l] Re: Silence ?

Michael Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 17:00:43 MDT 2005

I will remember the Pope as a pioneer advancing the
cause of interfaith communion.  To me that was a kind
of irrational exuberance, but it expresses the message
in our time.

>From a buddhist point of view I remember sitting at a
talk by Maha Gohsananda, the Cambodian monk, shortly
before he was in Cambodia guiding the Pope around the
ruins of camps and killing fields.  Here was a very
sympathetic religious leader.  But lest we forget, as
I was reminded by a buddhist scholar today, his book
"Crossing the Threshold" where he calls buddhism
nihilistic and all kinds of other incorrect things.
One buddhist response to that was a book by Norbu
Trinley, that praised him for his initial openess, but
none of that came through in the book at all.

As a person who was in Central America when there were
civil wars and revolutions, I thought his visit to
Guatemala was extremely brave and inspirational.  Not
as dramatic as Reagan dragging the Contras into a
fruitless fray against imaginary enemies, nonetheless,
poignant with significiance for the meaning of love
and peace.

peace man
michael