[Buddha-l] question

Richard Nance richard.nance at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 08:13:40 MDT 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 12:21 AM, jkirk <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:
> Hard to believe that there is nobody on this list who knows
> anything about rhetoric! What the heck.........

Joanna -- if you 're looking for information regarding a rhetorical
move that Indian authors might have *self-consciously made*, then
you're asking about something that might be formulated somewhere in
the formidable discourse of ala.mkaara'saastra. The person to talk to
in this regard on the BUDDHA-L list is Tim Cahill; I'm not sure
whether he's still around, but perhaps he'll see your note and get
back to you.

I can't recall any explicit thematization in Indian Buddhist sources
of the rhetorical move you mention -- the closest thing to it is
probably a move discussed in the Abhidharmasamuccayabhaa.sya and
Vyaakhyaayukti under the rubric of the "transformation of syllables"
(ak.sarapari.naama). But this really isn't as specific as what you're
looking for -- and there's no unanimity among authors about what it
involves.

If you're not concerned about whether the rhetorical term is
"indigenous," you might find the following link to be of some help:

http://humanities.byu.edu/rhetoric/silva.htm

Best,

R. Nance