[Buddha-l] Early Buddhist Art

Richard Nance richard.nance at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 14:31:29 MDT 2013

Dear Bradley,

I suspect you're already familiar with the general outlines of the Foucher
/ Coomaraswamy debate on the origins of the Buddha image and with Susan and
John Huntington's work on origins and aniconism. But in any case:

Foucher's book (in English translation):
http://archive.org/details/beginningsofbudd025009mbp

Coomaraswamy's riposte:
http://www.tepotech.com/Art_Bulletin/192794JuneCoomaraswamyOriginoftheBuddhaImage.pdf

J. Huntington on the origin of the Buddha image:
http://huntingtonarchive.osu.edu/resources/downloads/jchArticles/5_14%20Origin%20of%20the%20Buddha%20Image.pdf

S. Huntington and Vidya Dehejia on aniconism:
http://huntingtonarchive.osu.edu/resources/downloads/aniconism/ (multiple
papers)

I'd also recommend Rob Linrothe's "Inquiries into the Origin of the Buddha
Image: A Review"
http://www.jstor.org/stable/29757094

... and Paul Mus's "Iconography of an Aniconic Art"
http://www.jstor.org/stable/20166772

This is hardly an exhaustive list, but it's a place to start.

Best wishes,

R. Nance
Indiana University

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Clough, Bradley <Bradley.Clough at mso.umt.edu