[Buddha-l] Inquisition

Richard Hayes richard.hayes.unm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 10:25:31 MDT 2013

On Sep 17, 2013, at 22:25 , Dan Lusthaus <vasubandhu at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Reword:
>
>> No one is denying that the inquisitions lacked a political dimension.
>
> Should read
>
> Either:
> No one is claiming that the inquisitions lacked a political dimension.
>
> Or:
> No one is denying that the inquisitions had a political dimension.

As I move deeper into decrepitude, I find myself making this sort of performance error with alarmingly greater frequency. I think what happens is that one begins a sentence thinking of one verb and its accompanying syntactical pattern and finishes thinking of another. To someone who has spent a lifetime paying close attention to the use of language, this is no occasion for insouciance.

Richard the Souciant