[Buddha-l] buddha-l Digest, Vol 103, Issue 6

James A Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 17 01:20:15 MDT 2013

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 18:55:59 -0400
Dog of Mars <caodemarte at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If the bulk of  monks in Sri Lanka practiced meditation or other
> practices recommended by Buddha perhaps the militants would have less
> time to incite or practice murder.

I recently came across a one-liner blog post referring to the violence
by Burmese monks, saying in effect: "Buddhists, you had one *********
job!"  The reference is to an internet meme (for those of you not on the
internet) where a single job is horrendously messed up.  I thought that
this was apropos, since as a deluded Western orientalist, I thought
that the cessation of suffering was the cardinal tenet of Buddhism.
--
Yours,

James Andy Stroble
Leeward Community College