[Buddha-l] buddha-l Digest, Vol 103, Issue 6

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 13 03:01:12 MDT 2013

To keep up the tradition of the sotto voce it seems to me that people
are most emotional about that which they are the least clear about. This
is a sound Buddhist principle and it has also been used to great
advantage by free market entrepreneurs. It looks all the more impressive
of you can consolidate this kind of branding by tattoos or cutting of
foreskin, but in Buddhist terms this kind of solid identity is just
another āśrava. One might need a Rortian kind of irony to talk sensibly
about these kind of things.

Erik