[Buddha-l] buddha-l Digest, Vol 103, Issue 6

Antonio Ferreira-Jardim antonio.jardim at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 00:30:30 MDT 2013

Dan, do you think that these resistance groups consult wikipedia before
determining how they identify? We are not talking here about what the
ur-identity of these groups may or may not have been. The fact remains that
today, they self-identify as ethnically Uighur (or Uzbek or Tajik etc).

Let's let them speak for themselves. Rebiya Kadeer being interviewed at
Harvard in 2010:

http://harvardpolitics.com/online/hprgument-blog/ace-interview-with-rebiya-kadeer/

"Where would you like to see East Turkistan, also known as China’s Xinjiang
Uighur Autonomous Region, ten or fifteen years from now?"

RD: I’d like to see positive changes take place in East Turkestan in the
next decade in terms the political situation there. I hope the Uyghur
people enjoy human rights, freedom, and genuine autonomy and protection of
their unique ethnic identity.

But then again maybe we would be best served calling a point of order on Ms
Kadeer and reminding her of mistaken notions of ethnicity and referring her
to Wikipedia for the origins of her so-called Uighurs?

AFJ