[Buddha-l] buddha-l Digest, Vol 103, Issue 6

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 12 23:59:50 MDT 2013

> While I'm inclined to agree that "ethnicity" is a hopelessly murky term,
> it is not at all obvious to me what the referent of "religion" is. If
> anything, it is even more poorly delineated and more conducive to hopeless
> confusion than "ethnicity".

We should probably just settle for agreement when it occurs and leave it at
that.

I agree that nailing down a fully adequate "definition" for religion is a
fool's task, but as an identifier of people, or by people for themselves, it
remains fairly univocal. Usually one to a customer (though they may have
integrated additional traditions), and when we ask someone what their
religion is, it is pretty clear to all concerned what the question entails
and what the proper answer would be. The same is not the case with
ethnicity.

For instance, on a webpage that ignores the actual history of the term
Uighur while treating it as a continuative identifier of a people with 2000
year history, the concluding paragraph reads:

--
The Uigur did not convert to Islam until the mid-fifteenth century. For some
five centuries before that the name "Uigur" referred specifically to

Buddhist, Nestorian and Islamic have clearer referents than the term
Uig(h)ur, even while there are different sorts of Buddhists, etc.

Religion is a broader term than theologians and some philosophers allow --
I've written on that (e.g., http://tinyurl.com/myc5huy ) -- but its general
contours, like pornography, are easily recognizable when it appears.

Dan