[Buddha-l] buddha-l Digest, Vol 103, Issue 6

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 12 18:09:48 MDT 2013

Sally McAra wrote:

>rather than saying
> "religion is an aspect of nationalism", anthropologists or sociologists
> tend to argue that nationalists *appropriate* religious discourses for
> their own purposes, to attempt to defend and legitimize their own
> position.

Arguing doesn't make it so. There are currently approximately 60 nations
that consider themselves Islamic countries, whether or not they consider
themselves more secular or more sharia-oriented, or somewhere in between.
When Bangladesh dislodged itself from Pakistan (which had dislodged itself
from India for religious, not nationalist reasons), Bangladesh did not
renounce its Islamic identity -- that was intrinsic to whatever nascent
nationalist sense was emerging.

The muslim resistance movements in China and the former Soviet Union are not
grounded in nationalist identities, but religious ones. If nationhood is
coterminal with territority, than many of these "movements" are active in
territories into which they are relatively recent arrivals. It is only
wishful thinking and conceptual blindness that allows certain types of
reductionistic views to ignore what is happening in favor of the
socio-politico-economic theories with which they are more comfortable.

For these sixty or so muslim countries, Islam is part of their national
identity, and long predates the notion of nationalism. It is a European
secularist idea that takes nationalism as baseline rather than religious
identity, and that secular notion doesn't apply outside that framework,
where identity -- glossed by anthro- and socio-logists as "ethnicity" -- is
something other than secular "nationhood." Borders, which is what defines
"nation" for secularists, are fluid and relatively recent intrusions in many
parts of the world as fixers of identity. The borders of Iraq, Syria,
Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, etc. are all VERY recent -- locals blame them on
Western colonialism since the Europeans drew most of the borders during the
20th c. Rent a copy of Lawrence of Arabia, and keep an atlas on hand so you
can actually trace out the places into which Lawrence is trying to infuse
(at that time unsuccessfully) the notion of nationalism (in order to
dislodge the Turks, i.e., Ottomon Empire, from the middle east -- that part
WAS successful).

The idea that Buddhists shouldn't be nationalists expresses more a western
concern -- or embarrassment -- about identity-fixation re: nationalism,
patriotism, etc., with the concomitant presumption that because we in the
west may find these things embarrassing or problematic, Buddhists (and
others) should abandon them. When westerners start burning their own
passports, that sentiment may have more cogency.

Dan