[Buddha-l] Great Compassion Dharani

donna Bair-Mundy donnab at hawaii.edu
Fri Nov 1 02:23:25 MDT 2013

Aloha,
   So many questions that I've put off asking, thinking that if I could
just get through THIS semester I'd have time for the things that are
really important...

   Those of us affiliated with a Chinese Buddhist temple may have had the
experience of chanting a series of unintelligible (to me, anyway)
syllables beginning with:

Na Mo Ho La Dan No Duo La Ye Ye
Na Mo O Li Ye
Po Lu Jie Di Shou Bo La Ye
Pu Ti Sa Duo Po Ye
Mo Ho Sa Duo Po Ye
Mo Ho Jia Lu Ni Jia Ye

These syllables are supposed to be a transcription of Sanskrit text and
are chanted at break-neck speed.

I've found what is supposed to be the Sanskrit but that may be one of
those reverse-engineering jobs.  Can anyone point me to a really good
article (or book) giving the history of the Great Compassion Dharani
and/or the Great Compassion Dharani Sutra?

Did a quick search in a database of scholarly articles I have access to at
UH and came up empy-handed.

Mahalo (thank you) in advance for any help you can provide.

                    	Have a safe and joyful day,

 			donna Bair-Mundy, Ph.D.
 			Instructor, LIS Program
 			Information & Computer Sci. Dept.