[Buddha-l] Ven S Mahinda Thera:

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun May 26 15:35:12 MDT 2013

Chris,

> BTW if anybody has access to a copy of  Kazi Dawa Samdup's
> Tibetan-English Dictionary (Calcutta, 1919)

The dictionary at archive.org is English-Tibetan, not the other way around.
It was printed by the Baptist Mission Press (obviously as a useful tool for
missionaries!) in Calcutta in 1919. It includes modern terminology (e.g.,
the Tibetan for "methane") and such standard Tibetological fare as
"Pharisee," "Pharisaical," "Pharisaism" and "Popery", as well as more than a
few English words I would have to look up in an English-English dictionary
to discover their meaning (e.g., "Poltroon," "Pomade"). It identifies Lama
Samdup as "Head Master, Sikkim State Bhutia Boarding School, Gangtok." The
intro, while focused on the history of the dictionary project, does give
some indications of whom he consulted, etc. over the years. On the title
page his name is given as Lama Dawasamdup Kazi; he signs off his Intro as
Dousamdup.

You may find additional bio information on him in Paul Hackett's _Theos
Bernard, the White Lama: Tibet, Yoga, and American Religious Life_, which
chronicles the romantic embrace of Tibet in the West as engineered by people
like Bernard.
http://cup.columbia.edu/book/978-0-231-15886-2/white-lama
or
(cheaper at amazon)