[Buddha-l] Caste in Sri Lankan Buddhism

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Sun May 26 14:13:17 MDT 2013

Following links in the Wikipedia article on S. Mahinda I was surprised
to read of the apparent extent of  caste discrimination in Sri Lakan
Buddhism (at least in the past).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarapura_Nikaya
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shyamopali_Nikaya#Religious_power
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govigama

This surprised me as the Ambedekar/Dalit Buddhist movement in India
(which I have encountered), so  vociferously condems caste
discrimination, but at thee same time closely associates itself with
the Sri Lankan tradition of Theravada Buddhism.

Buddha and Buddhists are often upheld as being opposed to the Indian
caste system. But - along with non-violence - it seems that this is
may be another widely held mis-conception about Buddhists and Buddhism
in practice.

- Chris