[Buddha-l] Compassionate Violence? and Buddhist Just War Resource

Jo ugg-5 at spro.net
Sat May 25 13:40:07 MDT 2013

_Buddhism Transformed: Religious Change in Sri Lanka_. By Richard Gombrich
and Gananath Obeyesekere. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press,
1988.

http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-PHIL/allen.htm

I just read this 1992 review of a the book, published in 1988, where the
reviewer points out that the research for the book was "conducted for the
most part in the 1960s and especially in the 1970s. ... This means that,
with the exception of several sections near the end of the book, Buddhism
transformed is not analyzed in terms of the tremendous transformations
arising from the ethnic riots of 1983 and the Tamil-Sinhala civil war ever
since."

Worth a read--the reviewer is not whitewashing this book.
Joanna