[Buddha-l] Compassionate Violence?

James A Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Fri May 24 13:36:38 MDT 2013

On Fri, 24 May 2013 08:46:35 -0600
"Jo" <ugg-5 at spro.net> wrote:

> Andy,
> Maybe you will read this?
> If you seek the non-mythic aka 'reality' violence, you should review
> the history of Buddhist sangha vs the Tamils violence in Sri Lanka.
> At the present moment that has morphed into Buddhist sangha vs.
> Muslims (citizens, not immigrants), often resulting in violence, as
> in contemporary Burma: where the same thing is going on and the same
> propaganda is being used to justify it: defense of the Buddha, the
> Dharma, and the Sangha.
>
> I posted on this before but as usual you probably deleted it without
> reading.
> Joanna

Yep, Joanna, I deleted without reading, and didn't really even _see_
this! Still don't.  Call me a mystic.

No doubt this kind of propaganda is being used, what I am looking for
is justification in Buddhist teachings.  Buddhist nationalism would
seem to be an oxymoron, but even moreso if the defense of Buddhism to
defend our own cultural identity contradicts Buddhism.  You can see how
this will get all tangled up in the " no true Buddhist" problem.

--
Yours,

James Andy Stroble
Leeward Community College