[Buddha-l] Nalanda photos

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed May 15 01:30:25 MDT 2013

Artur,

> "I can't check the accuracy of his paraphrase until examining the book."
>
> Exactly. A good policy, to examine original texts.

Which is why I said it.

> "The Persian historian Minhaj-i-Siraj, in his chronicle the
> Tabaqat-I-Nasiri, reported that thousands of monks were burned alive and
> thousands beheaded as Khilji tried his best to uproot Buddhism the burning
> of the library continued for several months."
>
> Thousands are definitely not sufficient. It's to be expected that in the
> next version of this Wikipedia article the numbers of killed and burnt
> alive will run into tens of thousands

Perhaps with children sarcastic paraphrase is an effective way of dismissing
or neutralizing something. Among adults who check texts for accuracy, this
sort of avoidance doesn't work. If the majority of monks at Nalanda were
killed, how many monks do you think inhabited the place at the time? What do
your texts tell you the monastic population was at the time?

Inventing a fantasy of future number inflation is the kind of straw man
tactic Richard has been trying to pretend is already running loose in this
discussion.

> "Bakhtiyar Khilji asked: "Is there a Qur'an in this library?" and when he
> was told no, he ordered that the place be torched".
>
> Quoted and re-quoted zillions of times.

Because it is another version of the story. We have been entertaining a
number of different versions from different sources. Franz and I (and
apparently others) have said that the Tabaqat-I-Nasiri version should be
considered the most reliable in the absence of more compelling evidence.
That doesn't mean everything he wrote is absolutely true, but it does show
what Indian muslims at the time considered a plausible account of the facts
they were familiar with (see my comments in a previous example for the sort
of inference one would be warranted in making). This alternate version is
not from the Tabaqat-I-Nasiri, and no one said it was.

>Paraphrases of paraphrases, without
> any agenda, of course.

Sarcasm, again.

>Also at Daniel Pipes' "Middle East Forum":

You are right, it seems to be there too, but not written by him; on a blog
labeled as only the opinion of the poster (not Pipes), not of the site
itself. But in smear campaigns and guilt by association innuendos such
details mean little.

Conjuring that association is the same dismissive tactic as Richard's -- so
now everyone can see how conditioned reflexes work. Thank you both (along
with James) for continuing to illustrate for our benefit how that works. The
more you guys do it, the more transparent it becomes.

> http://in.answers.yahoo.com<http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091220043852AAoXuN1>

The link appears to be broken.

What an interesting series of avoidances and denials; this all started with
the Nirvana Sutra having a fellow brag that he killed Brahmins for
slandering Mahayana. Instead of dealing with that, attention avoided the
issue by diverting toward suicide, and that ellided into Nalanda. Once the
facts of the massacre were established, the same tired tactics for throwing
up diversionary smoke screens appear. How predictable, boring, and sad.

So much for ethical Buddhists.

Dan