[Buddha-l] Nalanda's library destruction

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue May 14 21:04:01 MDT 2013

Franz,

>I would prefer to see further evidence--as I am sure Dan would, as well.

Of course.

> Archeological evidence would be nice, especially if it suggested a
> immediate decline in the condition of the university after 1193, rather
> than a slow decline.

Archaeological remains, like texts, require interpretive techniques and
careful investigation. They themselves don't "suggest" anything. Back in the
90s some fuss was made that the entire library burning could not have
happened, and certainly not at the end of the 12th c, since bricks
supposedly from that period showed no sign of scorching. That has been
debunked since, but it continues to empower the revisionists with hope that
some exculpatory smoking gun will be found to be rid of this history once
and for all.

>If we could find physical evidence that, in that attack, walls were thrown
>down and book burning took place on the scale the Tabaqat-i Nasiri claims,
>then we'd have a case closed situation.

Archaeology rarely works like that. Look at how every few years an entirely
new theory of how the Mayans etc. and their contemporary tribes were wiped
out. When certain social theories are big in academia, those theories are
used to explain it; when plagues and mass disease theories became major
concerns, those were the explanations; when ecological negligence was hot,
that was the explanation; when climate change moved to center stage, that
became the explanation. The "evidence" didn't change -- how it was
interpreted and deployed for theoretical speculation was. Nonarchaeologists
may think that because these are hard, material entities, they don't lie.
They don't lie, or tell the truth. They are just raw interpretables.

> Lacking that, we might entertain the idea that its author exaggerated the
> enormity of the destruction for one of various possible reasons.

This is another of the common strategies for dismissing attention to the
countless accounts in Muslim sources of all stripes of their mass killings
and destructions, which, as I mentioned, are usually accompanied with
boasting. The revisionist arguments usually go something like: Oh, they are
just too jubilant, trying to impress someone no doubt, so it can't 10,000
killed, maybe more like 150 (and they were just a bunch of dumb cripples
without enough sense to get out of the way); these sources are exaggerating.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

After you've encountered this alibi countless times, its hollowness becomes
transparent. (Does that metaphor work?)

What the Tabaqat-i-Nasiri's account shows is that when he wrote it in the
1200s for the sultan of Delhi, the fact that no one was left at Nalanda, and
that the library had been destroyed, was not something that would have
raised an eyebrow as to factual accuracy. That was no exaggeration, but a
fait accompli.

> I suppose I should read Elverskog's book to see how he supports the
> positions expressed in his first pages.

His earlier book, Our Great Qing, was a better work, but he unfortunately
made a habit of repeating the weakest tactic of that work. He makes
grandiose claims at the beginning that he will upend the prevailing ideas
about the relations between the Qing court, the Mongols and the Tibetans,
laying out what those prevalent theories are. He repeats the boast several
times, but as the book progesses, he qualifies and cuts back on his boasts
until, in the end, he has largely acceded to the prevailing ideas, with
perhaps some slight additional background information and further
perspective (his use of Mongolian sources). In other words, he hypes that he
will overturn the mainstream view, but really doesn't. He approaches
Buddhism and Islam... the same way, only here he only pretends that the
sources support him. His use of what his sources say is selective and
questionable.

Dan