[Buddha-l] Nalanda's library destruction

Richard Hayes richard.hayes.unm at gmail.com
Tue May 14 20:27:59 MDT 2013

On May 14, 2013, at 17:55 , Franz Metcalf <franz at mind2mind.net> wrote:

> I do want to say, though, that I read those pages as a denial of the black-and-white narrative of complete and continuous hostility between Islam and Buddhism on the subcontinent, NOT as a denial of the attack of 1193.

This particular reference to Elverskog's work is an instance of a broader theme. The "revisionists" here on buddha-l to which Dan has drawn attention a few times have questioned what Franz aptly calls "the black-and-white narrative of complete and continuous hostility between Islam and Buddhism," but I can't recall a single instance of anyone denying that there were episodes of hostility between Muslims and Hindus, Hindus and Buddhists, Muslims and Buddhists, Jains and Buddhists and Buddhists and Buddhists. I certainly can't recall any denizen of buddha-l questioning or denying the attack of Nālandā in 1193.

Richard