[Buddha-l] Nalanda's library destruction

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue May 14 02:01:39 MDT 2013

>The burning of Nalanda's library was attributed to tirthikas, according to
>Tibetan source, provided in my initial email.

A tirthika is any non-Buddhist. That could include muslims. It's too vague
to be a meaningful category. What is the date of the source you are citing?

>Is this being disputed? Any evidence to the contrary?

Try Wikipedia:

"Nalanda was ransacked and destroyed by an army under Bakhtiyar Khilji in
1193. The great library of Nalanda University was so vast that it is
reported to have burned for three months after the invaders set fire to it,
ransacked and destroyed the monasteries, and drove the monks from the site."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalanda

For Bakhtiyar Khilji, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakhtiyar_Khilji

"Ikhtiyar Uddin Muhammad bin Bakhtiyar Khilji (also known as Malik Ghazi
Ikhtiyar 'l-Din Muhammad Bakhtiyar Khilji or Muhammad Bakhtiyar Khilji)
(died 1206) was a Turkic military general of Qutb-ud-din Aybak."

"...Khilji's career took flight with a campaign which subjugated Bihar in
1203. This effort earned him political clout in the court at Delhi. In the
same year he took his forces into Bengal. As he came upon the city of
Nabadwip, it is said that he advanced so rapidly that only 18 horsemen from
his army could keep up. Khilji went on to capture the capital Gaur and
intruded into much of Bengal. [5][6] He was also responsible for the
destruction of Nalanda, which was an ancient Buddhist University in Bihar,
India, nearby to the stronghold of Bihar. The main Persian source for
this[7] explains Khilji attacked the fortress unaware that it was a
University.[8][9] the sacking of a Buddhist institution such as Nalanda
would be characteristic of the regime's reported iconoclasm.[10]"

Dan