[Buddha-l] Nirvana Sutra Chapter 19

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun May 12 23:37:52 MDT 2013

> There is a sentence in Nirvana Sutra, Chapter 19, whicc Yamamoto translate
> thus:
> "I heard the Brahmins slandering the vaipulya. Having heard this, I did
> away with my life."
>
> There is, however, an alternative translation:
> “When I heard the Brahmins slandering the ‘vaipulya sutras’, I put them
> to death on the spot.”
>
> Which is correct?
> Rahula

The second version is correct. One can divine this from the full passage,
and confirm it with the Chinese text:

O good man! I, at that time, greatly respected Mahayana. I heard the
Brahmins slandering the vaipulya. Having heard this, I did away with my
life. O good man! I have never once fallen into hell because of this [i.e.
despite this]. O good man! When we accept and protect the Mahayana sutras,
we have innumerable virtues. (p.164)

《大般涅槃經》卷12〈7 聖行品〉:「善男子。我於爾時心重大乘。聞婆羅門誹謗方等。聞已即時斷其命根。善男子。以是因緣從是已來不墮地獄。善男子。擁護攝持大乘經典。乃有如是無量勢力」(CBETA, T12, no. 374, p. 434,
c18-21)

In Buddhism, one wouldn't go to hell for committing suicide, so contextually
killing someone else would be the reason for falling into hell. (not to
mention that killing yourself just because you overhear someone slandering
Buddhism makes no sense at all.)

The key Chinese phrase is 斷其命根 -- the second character, 其 qi, is a
third person possessive (singular or plural), i.e., his, hers, its, their.

斷 = eliminate, extinguish; 其 = their; 命根 = life, jīvitendriya.

So not his own life, but "their" life.

Yes, I'm afraid here is another case where killing to protect or defend the
dharma is lauded. To be fair to the Nirvana Sutra, however, there are
several other places in it that prohibit and criticize killing.

Dan