[Buddha-l] Book Recommendations

celliott at epix.net celliott at epix.net
Fri May 10 14:03:05 MDT 2013

Hi Hans,

I taught a 200 level course about Asian Religion and Culture for 30 years at a two-year school. I found The Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita, both translated by Juan Mascaro for Penguin were tops and also cheap.
...and of course they fit snuggly into the earliest Buddhist Dharma. So I taught them, along with The Tao Te Ching (D.C. Lau, Penguin), which Lucien Stryk confirmed was the best.
They also enjoyed Zen in the Art of Archery, once they waded through his impossibly complex sentences. His approach to his own ignorance is nicely done, and the extensive Buson section is beautiful.

Good Luck. I retired 10 years ago because the students stopped reading the homework. (I did not teach at Harvard.)
Carolyn Elliott