[Buddha-l] Did the Buddha settle down?

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at smith.edu
Mon Jul 22 10:03:52 MDT 2013

I haven't thought about this in a while, and this doesn't specifically
address the Buddha's traveling around, but most of the texts depict a
fairly urban Buddha, fairly restricted in the locations of his teaching--
fully 83% of the places mentioned in the Pali texts refer to a total of
just five cities, and less than one-half of 1% refer to the countryside
(Gokhale, Balkrishna Govind. “Early Buddhism and the Urban Revolution.”
Journal of the International Association of Buddhist Studies 5/2, 1982).
Romila Thapar has  long made similar claims about the urban origins of the
Buddhist communities. To paraphrase the caption under a depiction of the
Buddha's accepting the Jeta Grove in a popular intro Buddhist textbook,
"with the acceptance of Jetavana, the community of wanders became corporate
landowners." Reggie Ray might disagree.

Jamie Hubbard