[Buddha-l] Copyright of Yoga Asanas

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 17 02:47:07 MST 2013

I had to revise an article on the subject about a year ago. Some indologists calling themselves 'modern' came with this new theory. I found the research rather onesided, because there was very little reference to the tantric and Nath traditions and Wendy Donniger called it in a review rather  extravagant. Some Tibetan yoga is rather violent, but not all. Kun Nye may not be very old, but Yantra Yoga seems to be older than the 20th or 19th century.
This is not meant to contradict Dan's remark  about the yoga asanas being restyled and reinvented.

Erik

Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn at gmail.com> schreef:

>On 17/01/2013, Dan Lusthaus <vasubandhu at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> To put some historical, cultural and legal context on this:
>>
>> (1) While many believe that the hatha yoga routines and asanas they
>use are
>>
>> "age old" traditional practices, it turns out that most of the
>routines are
>>
>> 20th c inventions, drawing more on British military callisthenics
>than on
>> anything from traditional yoga systems.
>>
>> Cf. the speed at which BKS Iyengar -- one of the innovators --
>performs the
>>
>> routines in 1938 he has largely devised (notice that several of these
>are
>> played in slow motion).
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mftKmszHyAA&feature=fvw
>> Iyengar until 7:26 in, then Krishnamacharya.
>>
>> note how abrubt, and even violent Tibetan yoga movements are,
>contrary to
>> your local yoga class:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BESrdlf-cPg&NR=1
>
>Dan
>
>While I don't doubt that callisthenics has influenced  modern hatha
>yoga, and especially on the way it is now presented, there are
>hundreds of asanas in Tibetan yoga texts which cannot have been so
>influenced. There are sets of these asanas associated with every
>Buddhist anuttarayoga tantra - many Nyingma tantras as well, and
>others besides these.
>
>These are described in detail and in some cases illustrated (if you
>want I can send you some examples).
>
>Some are performed slowly - others abrubtly / violently - and afaik in
>all cases together with visualizations.
>
>There are of course string historical links, going back to about the
>12th century, between the gorakhnath sadhus and Buddhist tantra
>traditions. The Nath tradition of course is the source of much of
>Hatha Yoga.
>
> - Chris

Verzonden van mijn Android telefoon met K-9 Mail.