[Buddha-l] Internet activist Aaron Swartz commits suicide Re Library.nu

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 22:09:17 MST 2013

Re greed

Did you know that people have actually tried (and managed) to patent
yoga asanas in the USA?

The Indian government created  a Traditional Knowledge Digital Library
database in order to prevent pharmaceutical companies trying to patent
traditional medical formulations.(bio-piracy) It now also includes
things like Yoga asanas  because people started getting patents on
these in the U.S.A.

Link: Traditional Knowledge Digital Library http://www.tkdl.res.in/

http://www.tkdl.res.in/tkdl/PressCoverage/important_news/VOANews_11-06-2010.pdf

"The US Patent and Trademark office has reportedly issued 150
yoga-related copyrights, 134 trademarks on yoga accessories and 2,315
yoga trademarks"

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2007-05-18/india/27888083_1_yoga-enthusiasts-yoga-related-copyrights-bikram-choudhary