[Buddha-l] Bewildering temple in Bangkok

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Feb 27 13:07:28 MST 2013

Eko et al.,

I thought the same thing when reading Chris's post. One time the relics tour came here to Los Angeles, it was housed in a Sikh-dominated yoga center. Evidently, those Sikhs don't know who to worship, either. It was a lovely experience to see the images and relics, especially with my little daughter who, at nine months, said her very first word there: "Buddha," though I suspect she might have actually been attempting to say "bottle" or perhaps just "blah blah" (what she generally says when I talk about Buddhism to her, eight years later).

As Richard and Dan seem to agree (!), Thai Buddhism as actually practiced is a much broader affair than Buddhist sympathizers want to think. So the temple in question could well be a particularly ecumenical Thai temple quite separate from any relic tour. They ought to have been selling amulets, too.

Franz