[Buddha-l] Sadly, the beat goes on in Sri Lanka

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 10 17:41:12 MDT 2013

Curious that you compare chanting and occasional fistfights to incessant
bombings. No comparison.

Compared to what is going on currently in the Sinai -- Christians fleeing
from harrassment by the Brotherhood and its supporters -- Sri Lanka is
docile.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/11/world/middleeast/lawless-sinai-shows-risks-rising-in-fractured-egypt.html?hp

The BBC, which lives on Saudi money, is hardly the objective witness in Sri
Lanka.

Citing a nationalist monk, the reporter introduces the quote thus:
--
He proceeds to give a unique take on geography and religion.

"Look around the world - Malaysia, Indonesia, Pakistan, Afghanistan and
others, they were all Buddhist countries - but the Muslims destroyed the
culture and then took over the country. We worry they're planning it here
too."

--

"Unique" is a backhanded way of saying imaginary. But no one on this list at
least should imagine that there is anything "unique" about that capsule

Dan