[Buddha-l] Buddhist stupa to be moved from NM Petroglyph Park

Jo ugg-5 at spro.net
Sun Sep 30 08:59:36 MDT 2012

On Sep 29, 2012, at 9:26 PM, "bob Woolery" <drbob at comcast.net> wrote:

> My father worked at GC in the mid '30s.  The "drunken" ranch hand
> cavorting on a promontory over a mile drop for the enjoyment of
> tourists was a daily event.

Interesting. Two of my cousins were "dude wranglers" at Mesa Verde National
Park in the 1960s. They would drum up business for day-long horse trips by
going to the campfire talks in the evenings. They would race their horses
into the circle pretending to be drunk and disorderly and do all kinds of
crazy stunts on their horses. It worked. People seemed thrilled at the
prospect of taking a long horse ride on precipitous mesa trails led by a
whiskey-soaked cowboy.

It's my impression that the Buddha might not have approved of America's
fascination with cowboys who break the fifth precept. But is there any other
kind of cowpoke?

Richard

Yes there is or was, but he wasn't Buddhist: Krishna of the gopis and gopas.
Those terms are often translated cowgirls and cowboys.

Joanna