[Buddha-l] Buddhist stupa to be moved from NM Petroglyph Park

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Sep 29 23:58:59 MDT 2012

On Sep 29, 2012, at 10:41 PM, "Jo" <ugg-5 at spro.net> wrote:

> The record seems to be that it was a guy named Dutton who applied the exotic
> names, not Powell...but maybe that's an occluded record.

Clarence Dutton was a geologist who accompanied Powell in 1875 on surveys of the Rocky Mountains and plateau country of Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona. He worked in the Grand Canyon in 1882, some thirteen years after Powell visited it. I was misinformed about Powell having named the features of the Grand Canyon named after Brahma, Vishnu and Buddha. Powell named quite a few features of the Grand Canyon, but apparently not the exotic ones that offend today's Christians so much. The Vishnu schist, for example, was named by Charles Walcott in the 1880s and the Brahma schist was named by Campbell and Maxon, as was probably the Rama schist. But those names came later and were probably named after canyons, spires and buttes named by Dutton. It was Dutton who named Buddha Temple and Vishnu Temple. We should make those early geologists patron saints of buddha-l. And the Zionists in our midst will surely admire Dutton's seminal work in what eventually became Zion and Bryce national parks in Utah, although Zion did not acquire its present name until long after Dutton worked there. He would probably have known it by its original name, Mukuntuweap.

Richard