[Buddha-l] Was Buddhists Taking a Stand Against Isllamophobia

Gerald McLoughlin caodemarte at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 10:08:01 MDT 2012

Please note that Arab conquests were not wars of religion as such. The conquered were not even allowed to convert to what was then seen as the religion of the Arabs for a very long period of time. Finally the view that Islam was open to all carried the day, but forced conversions, if existent, would have been rare to the vanishing point. Of course,  Islamic states were historically far more tolerant of Christians and Jews than the Christian states, "pagans" being a different complex story.

On a side note, Wahhabist missionary efforts have been notable for their lack of effect on the religious front.  Foreign money has been somewhat effective in helping ideologically related local groups. This is distinct from funding of various political and armed factions who claim to be Islamic by diverse elements.  Saudi, Malaysian, and other donors do often insist that rebuilt mosques be built according to the donor's tastes.  This has not helped the preservation of local styles and traditions. In general you can say that there are some common themes in Islam, but there is no one globally predominant sect or influence  let alone one coming from Saudi.

Gerald