[Buddha-l] On Wanton Destruction (Was Buddhists Taking a Stand Against Isllamophobia)

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 20 15:04:47 MDT 2012

Op 20-09-12 21:36, Katherine Masis schreef:
> Going back to Joannas's and Richard Hayes' remarks on wanton destruction, I was wondering if there are any comments glorifying the destruction of libraries, shrines, etc. on the part of the perpetuators.  I would be interested to see how they defend their point of view.

I'm not sure if they are interested in giving any justifications. What
they do looks a lot like power play. There is a relative justification
of course on the basis of the assumption that a certain version of a
religion is the only right one and that it is in the interest of the
world to destroy all signs of deviation. I see in the low countries a
growing tendency to flirt with the old monological discourse that was
the hegemony of Christendom. 'Perhaps God is not dead and perhaps we
should not be afraid to defend our special truth and go for Jesus', I
hear now and then. To me it is like the old Chinese who did not realise
the world is round and called their country The Empire of the Middle.

Erik