[Buddha-l] Was Mr. Pol Pot a Buddhist?

Jo ugg-5 at spro.net
Tue Oct 16 12:44:07 MDT 2012

Erik
I did not write this. Andy Stroble wrote it. You keep on doing this! Please take note of who signs, not who is recorded as sending something.

What I WROTE was:
Good point.
Where I find it excessively untrue to its foundations is where Buddhism has been overtaken by consumerism: buy your Buddha stuff here---take this retreat-- no, that one is better because it has a bigger more lama-smiley ad in Tricycle and other mags. The totalism of consumerism, folks.

Op 16-10-12 18:41, Jo schreef:
> (And I have to add, that I find Buddhism in general, across a half a
> dozen different sources, to be more or less outrageously contrarian,
> so maybe, in a sort of Post-marxist Marxian way, Žižek is a Buddhist.)

I don't understand this. Do you mean the Buddhist doctrines or the movement and if the latter: the present or the historical one? Must a contrarian person always be a member of a contrarian movement or religion? How can a contrarian religion be establishment like in many Asian countries? Is there a new refuge formula  'I am contrarian in the Buddha, dharma and sangha'?
I'm not sure that the best response to a comment is just to say that the author is contrarian. Isn't this an ad hominem?

Erik