[Buddha-l] Was Mr. Pol Pot a Buddhist?

Scott A. Mitchell buddhaworld at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 15:51:23 MDT 2012

For what it's worth, regarding Žižek, there's this article in Contemporary Buddhism:

Møllgaard, Eske. “Slavoj Žižek’s Critique of Western Buddhism.” Contemporary Buddhism 9, no. 2 (2008): 167-80.

It's been a while since I read this article, but my sense was that Žižek's "critique" is rather diffuse, spread out across a half dozen different sources, none of which are really about Buddhism (for example in his book The Puppet and the Dwarf: the Perverse Core of Christianity) but are actually about what's wrong with the world in a more general way (spoiler alert: what's wrong with the world is free market capitalism) as filtered through the lens of Lacan. So, no, Žižek hasn't read anything written by contemporary, anti-capitalist Buddhists, and (in his mind) he doesn't have to since he's not actually taking about Buddhism but rather the large and ubiquitous market for desktop Zen gardens and feel-good spirituality books. Žižek's may or may not be a good critique, but I rather suspect that Prof. Hayes is correct. Žižek likes poking icons in the eye. I'd suggest we merely duck and get on our lives.

Best,
Scott

Scott A. Mitchell
Core Faculty, Institute of Buddhist Studies
Core Doctoral Faculty, Graduate Theological Union
Editorial Committee, Pacific World
BIE Program Coordinator

scott at shin-ibs.edu
www.shin-ibs.edu